Using PS ISE to replace Management Studio

Dec 20, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I had a thought in my brain the other day of using PS ISE to replace Management Studio (after reading up on the SQLIse module available in SQLPSX).  Have you guys given any thought to this?  I hate how many bugs are in Management Studio and how it is basically a big dumb black box around SMO.  (Both SMO and SQL PowerShell are a pain to use, and supposedly developed by the same team.)

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:20 PM

To certain extent we've tried to duplicate functionality in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and improve a few things along the way. The SQL query tool SQLIse is included with SQLPSX project. In addition for handling many administration functions via a GUI, we wrote a PowerGUI PowerPack

The PowerPack is a free add-in to Quest's PowerGUI which enable you to build MMC-style GUIs with PowerShell.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Sorry, just to clarify, do you work for PowerGUI?

Dec 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM

LOL, No, I'm just a PowerShell user. I like the framework PowerGUI provides so I wrote the PowerPack for SQLPSX.

Jan 13, 2011 at 7:54 PM

I'll see what I can do in this regard.

I would love to see DBA's given standard options for maintenance of DBs.  Such as, install Ola Hallengren's index maintenance script... or install Michelle Ufford's Index Maintenance Script.  Personally, what I've done is a fusion of Ola and Michelle's scripts.  I use Ola's stored procedures, but have an audit logging table that tells me how long things took to complete.  I could definitely see a GUI to administrate this stuff being superior to what SQL Agent offers, since to edit things in Agent you have to do at least eight clicks.

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:08 PM

It just so happens a colleague/co-worker of mine is working on an all encompassing set of scripts and modules for installing and configuring a SQL Server. We've been using the PowerShell scripts internally. The scripts will perform pre-installation checks, run an unattended install based on your configuration preferences and run post installation configure such as installing maintenance routines.  Hopefully we will see something in then 30 to 45 days. He plans on creating a new CodePlex project for this. As its live I'll post a link in this forum thread.

Jan 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Can I beta-test it before he releases it live, and provide feedback?  I feel too often these scripts get released before they are vetted for quality.  Even my own in-house scripts sometimes I get the queasy feeling that I need a second pair of eyeballs (or more) before I am confident it is robust...

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Unfortunately the scripts just aren't ready yet for public or private usage outside of our company. CodePlex has the ability to tag a release as beta and I 'll mention this to him.

Jan 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Is that for legal reasons or do you have technical reasons like the scripts rely on ambient authorities like the Windows Registry for proper configuration, and you want to rid yourselves of those dependencies before release?

I mean if the scripts have got a good idea in them, I wouldn't mind submitting some patches before it is released.  How many lines of code is it?

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM

If you write scripts internally and then wish to share them inevitably you'll need to remove anything that is specific to your environment. This takes some time. I would also add the scripts aren't mine to share. I'm simply passing on an inside scoop that you will see a CodePlex project started with a set scripts for installing and configuring SQL Server via PowerShelll and that's the best I can do for now.