When will we see a new release of SQLPSX?

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Hi,

First, I want to say that we love SQLPSX and use it extensively with our PS scripts. We do database development for a large medical software company, and SQLPSX has saved us a lot of time writing common PS/SQL functions.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, it's been over a year and a half since we've seen a new release of SQLPSX. And as I scan the discussion forum, I see responses such as, "That's fixed in the next release", but I'm not sure when that release will be available.

Also, I see many discussion threads where a user has a problem, and they are advised to modify the SQLPSX code themselves. This concerns me because I would expect there to be some sort of regular (e.g., daily, weekly) build/deploy process where SQLPSX fixes can be developed, tested, built, and delivered to users.

If the SQLPSX team does not have the time to develop and deliver fixes to users, then maybe it would be useful to provide a mechanism for some of us developers in the field to contribute changes that get automatically tested and included with the next build? Something to consider.

I'm not trying to be negative or point blame at anyone -- I'm sure the SQLPSX development team has other responsibilities and is very busy. I just want to make sure that the SQLPSX framework is given the attention it deserves and lives on well into the future.

Thanks

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I glad you find SQLPSX useful.

I agreed, we've been unable to put a release together for nearly two years. Personally I'd to like spend more time on SQLPSX, however I've pulled into other outside work activities, mostly running six IT Pro Camps a year (see ITProCamp.com). The only opportunity I have to work SQLPSX is outside work and that time is less than it had been a couple of years ago.

We've added a few developers to the SQLPSX project recently and if you're interested I can add you as developer. Let me know.

--Chad Miller

Feb 26, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Chad,

Thanks very much for your response. I totally understand your situation...

We've decided to maintain and support SQLPSX ourselves, so we're fixing some issues and getting it ready for SQL Server 2012 and PowerShell 3.0.

Can you share with us any unit/integration tests that we can execute as we make changes to SQLSPX to make sure we don't break any existing functionality?

We use PSUNIT for unit testing (www.psunit.org). Not sure if you use this unit testing frame work for PowerShell, but if you do, can you publish your tests?

Thanks,
Steve
Coordinator
Feb 27, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I've built test case using PSUnit. See the Source Code under TestScripts http://sqlpsx.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/132346a9e30d

Again if you'd like to contribute back to SQLPSX, let me know and I'll add you as developer to the project.