This project is read-only.

Import SQLServer module error?

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ShowMbrs
import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLServer
import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Agent
import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Repl
import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SSIS
import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLParser
Import-Module : The module to process 'ShowMbrs.psm1', listed in field 'NestedModules' of module manifest 'C:\Documents and Settings\Ro
nald Dameron\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLServer\SQLServer.psd1' was not processed because no valid module was found in any m
odule directory.
At line:2 char:14
+ import-module <<<<  $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLServer
    + CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (SQLServer:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleFileNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

I can import all modules except the SQLServer module.  Error thrown is below. What did I miss?  Hoping to use netbook for SQLSat#32. Thx.

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\ShowMbrs

import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLServer

import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Agent

import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\Repl

import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SSIS

import-module $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLParser

Import-Module : The module to process 'ShowMbrs.psm1', listed in field 'NestedModules' of module manifest 'C:\Documents and Settings\Ro

nald Dameron\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLServer\SQLServer.psd1' was not processed because no valid module was found in any m

odule directory.

At line:2 char:14

+ import-module <<<<  $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\SQLServer

+ CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (SQLServer:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleFileNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

get-module returns...

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> get-module

ModuleType Name                      ExportedCommands                                                           

---------- ----                      ----------------                                                           

Script     ShowMbrs                  {Get-ShowMbrs, Set-ShowMbrs, New-ShowMbrs, Get-GroupUser}                  

Script     Agent                     {Get-AgentTargetServerGroup, Get-AgentProxyAccount, Get-AgentJobSchedule...

Script     Repl                      {Get-ReplEnumSubscriptions2, Get-ReplPublisherMonitor, Get-ReplEnumPubli...

Script     SSIS                      {New-ISItem, Get-ISPackage, Get-ISItem, Copy-ISItemFileToSQL...}           

Binary     SQLParser                 {Test-SqlScript, Out-SqlScript}                  

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:25 AM

What does get-module -listAvailable return?

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:18 AM

BEFORE I COPIED MODULES TO C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules:
PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> get-module -listAvailable
Manifest   BitsTransfer              {}                                                                         
AFTER
Script     adoLib                    {}                                                                         
Manifest   Agent                     {}                                                                         
Manifest   Repl                      {}                                                                         
Manifest   ShowMbrs                  {}                                                                         
Manifest   SQLParser                 {}                                                                         
Manifest   SQLServer                 {}                                                                         
Manifest   SSIS                      {}                  
Then:
PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> import-module ShowMbrs
import-module SQLServer
import-module Agent
import-module Repl
import-module SSIS
import-module SQLParser
No errors.
I think the issue was that I had put the modules in a non-standard location. 
The text README needs to be updated to match the DOCUMENTATION page.  
Also, putting the modules in another location other than the one above caused the issue, I think.  
I created my Modules folder using the directions contained in the about_modules help.
 1. Create a Modules directory for the current user if one does
           not exist. 
           To create a Modules directory, type:
               new-item -type directory -path $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules     
After I copied the modules to C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules the import worked without issue.
I originally had the modules here: C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules
So, it looks like they have to be a certain place to issue the import-module command without supplying a path AND if you nest modules.
I'm just starting with V2 so does that make sense?
I did read both your README and the instructions on the Documentation page during this effort.
Kind of counter-intuitive that Microsoft has v1.0 in the Modules path for PowerShell v2.
Hope this helps.

BEFORE I COPIED MODULES TO C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules:

AFTER

Script     adoLib                    {}                                                                         

Manifest   Agent                     {}                                                                         

Manifest   Repl                      {}                                                                         

Manifest   ShowMbrs                  {}                                                                         

Manifest   SQLParser                 {}                                                                         

Manifest   SQLServer                 {}                                                                         

Manifest   SSIS                      {}                  

Then:

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> import-module ShowMbrs

import-module SQLServer

import-module Agent

import-module Repl

import-module SSIS

import-module SQLParser

No errors.

I think the issue was that I had put the modules in a non-standard location. 

The text README needs to be updated to match the DOCUMENTATION page.  

Also, putting the modules in another location other than the one above caused the issue, I think.  

I created my Modules folder using the directions contained in the about_modules help.

1. Create a Modules directory for the current user if one does

not exist. 

To create a Modules directory, type:

new-item -type directory -path $home\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules     

It wasn't until I copied the modules to C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules the import worked without issue.

I originally had the modules here: C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

So, it looks like they have to be a certain place to issue the import-module command without supplying a path AND if you nest modules.

I'm just starting with V2 so does that make sense?

I did read both your README and the instructions on the Documentation page during this effort.

Kind of counter-intuitive that Microsoft has v1.0 in the Modules path for PowerShell v2.

Hope this helps.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:31 AM

You're right about modules needing to be in a specific location either user or system.  I've never specified a path for module import and I'm not aware that you can. I've tested the modules on a couple of machines both Vista and Windows 7, what OS are you using? If the module nesting is a problem you could get rid of it my modifying the module manifest (psd1 file) and then adding import-module showmbrs -force to the SQLServer module.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:34 AM

One other thing. What does $env:psmodulepath return?

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> $env:psmodulepath
C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\

I have a Dell Mini 10v running WinXP SP3. 

PS C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron> $env:psmodulepath

C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\

I think I see the issue now.
My modules were originally in C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules
not C:\Documents and Settings\Ronald Dameron\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules
I created the Modules folder using the example from the about_Modules help in PowerShell v2.
More from the about_Modules help.
To import a module that is not in a default module location, use the fully qualified path to the module folder in the command. For example, to add the TestCmdlets module in the C:\ps-test directory to your session, type: import-module c:\ps-test\TestCmdlets
I'm going to move the modules to the MY DOCUMENTS folder and try the import again.  It's working now in the system location.  Thx.

Jan 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Good to know about specifying a path. The path thing makes sense and explains why putting the module in your system module directory worked. I also noticed you can add temporary or permanent path to your psmodulepath http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd878326(VS.85).aspx

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I moved the modules from the system location to correct location in My Documents that is identified by the $env:psmodulepath.

Import-module works without issue.  Thx.

Thx.