SQLIse Feedback

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 2:47 AM

Feedback on SQLIse module

Mar 10, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Getting an error when I try to open a connecting. Not sure if I missed something or if I've got something else off in my settings.  Running on Vista Business 64-bit.

PS C:\#[DISCONNECTED]: > Connect-Sql
Exception calling "Add" with "1" argument(s): "Command execution stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: Property 'Vi
sibility' cannot be found on this object; make sure it exists and is settable."
At E:\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\WPK\GeneratedControls\PresentationFramework.ps1:22080 char:21
+         Set-Property <<<<  -property $psBoundParameters -inputObject $Object
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Set-Property

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Let's try just running WPK to see if it is installed and works correctly on x64. Grap WPK from http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/PowerShellPack

I believe the installer will copy WPK to your module directory under *Documents\Modules\WPK. From Powerhsell ISE try importing WPK:

import-module WPK

If this works try running one of the sample scripts in the Examples directory of WPK (*Documents\Modules\WPK). The DigitalClock example is one of the simpliest:

PS C:\Users\u00\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\modules\WPK\Examples> import-module wpk

PS C:\Users\u00\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\modules\WPK\Examples> .\DigitalClock.ps1

If WPK works correctly then you should see a digitalclock.

Let me know if this works.

Mar 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM

The Digital Clock script works as expected. 

Just verified - I'm running the 64-bit version of Powershell ISE.  My Docs folder has been moved, but it's recognized as the correct one for Modules as all PS modules import without an issue that I can see.

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Let's try the script/screen in question, Are you able to run the Get-ConnectionInfo.ps1 script after importing the WPK module?

./Get-ConnectionInfo.ps1

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:07 PM

It ran, but didn't do anything that I could see.  I wasn't sure what parameters to pass in to the bitmap.  I am able to issue a get-help against it and see that it has a param of -bitmap <Object>.  It seems to be loaded, but not sure where to go from there.

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I don't have a Vista x64, but do have a Win7 x64. I'll try it out on that machine and let you know if it works.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Would it make any difference if I normally load up SQLPSX and the SQL 2008 Powershell components as part of my working environment?  I wouldn't think that it would, but wanted to check.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM

Tested on my Win7 x64 and I'm able to reproduce the same errors. This looks like a problem with x64 and PowershellPack WPK module. I filed a bug in the PowershellPack forum

There is a workaround for this issue--  running the x86 version of Powershell ISE on an x64 system. I  tested this on my system without issue. Go to Accessories->Windows Powershell ->Windows Powershell ISE (x86) 

Mar 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I'm encountering the same error on XP Pro x64 as well.

Developer
Jul 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I that WPK PowerShellpack is perfect for ISE unless you use PowerShell -Sta to start the console.

:)

Developer
Jul 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM

The problem is caused in Get-ConnectionInfo by using  -DataBinding.