report errors

Jan 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM
Hi,

i am trying to use the reporting as is included in your nice package.
I succesfully collected csvs, imported data into the SQLPSX-database.
Reporting I cannot get to work.

Whenever I try a report (eg SQLPSXLogin) I receive only

"Error:
               Report Parameter 'Timestamp' was not found

In debugging-mode within VS2005 this report seems to work fine.

Any suggestions?

Tia,
Herman
Coordinator
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:24 AM
Are you having the same issue with all reports or just a particular one? Is the issue only encountered when you deploy the report to an SSRS, but runs fine in VS 2005?
Jan 14, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Yes, I have this issue with all the SQLPSX-reports: in SQL ServerMgmt connected to a local SQLinstance, I point to the diorectory with report files (rdl), choose eg SQLPSXLogin  and receive the error "Error:Report parameter 'Timestamp' was not found. .

In VS2005 debugging mode they work fine (after adapting the connection property in the SQLPSX.rds file).

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM
That is correct, you do need to change the connection string in the rds file to point to your SQL instance and database. Currently the connection string is:

<ConnectString>Data Source=Z002\SqlExpress;Initial Catalog=sqlsec</ConnectString>

You may even want to delete and create a new shared data source with the same name (SQLPSX). If you make these changes are you then able to deploy the reports to the Report Server?
Jan 14, 2009 at 3:35 PM

I am just trying to run the reports locally. I have an SQL instance running locally, so I just point at my .rdl file to execute it from within SQLServerMangementStudio. I want to run the SSRS reports locally, without deployment to a remote SSRS.

Coordinator
Jan 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM
I'm trying to understand your setup, so please bear with me. 

Are you able to execute the reports through VS 2005 or SQL Server Business Intelligence Studio 2005?
Are you using a local SSRS instance i.e. running within your local IIS?
Jan 15, 2009 at 9:01 AM
Yes, the reports can be executed in VS2005.
I have not deployed to any SSRS.

I have a local SQLServer running and I can run successfully standard reports like "Server Dashboard", "Performance - Top Queries".
To run the SQLPSX reports from within SQLServerManagementStudio, I  click in the "Object Explorer->Reports" the option "Custom Reports" and choose the SQLPSXLogin-rdl file in the Reports directory.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:49 AM
I deployed the reports now to http://localhost/reportserver and in IE http://localhost/ReportServer/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fSQLPSX%2fSQLPSXLogin&rs%3aCommand=Render it works fine.

probably a stupid question: Is it normal that it this works via IE and does not work in SQL Management Studio as "custom report"?

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2009 at 1:38 PM
The reports for SQLPSX are not meant to run from within SSMS. You can of course modify them to do so. You may want to take a look at the canned SSRS reports which ship with SSMS in Program Files to get a feel for how they differ. I had a link to nice blog post someone had done that shows how to create SSRS reports for SSMS, but I'm having trouble finding it now. The way you write SSRS reports to run within SSMS is slightly different. The biggest difference is that you cannot have paramaters or the parameters are dynamic determined. For instance you could create an SSRS report that looks at the db_id(), then when you launch the report from a particular database node in SSMS it will determine the db_id() from the context from which launched.

Keep in mind you can use Visual Studio or SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio (part of the SQL tools installation along with SSMS) to run reports locally.